How to Prevent a Young Child From Choking on Everyday Household Items

As any experienced parent knows, young toddlers are obsessed with putting absolutely everything they can find in their mouths. Although this can lead to some cute and heart-warming moments, there is a high likelihood that one of these items could eventually get lodged in either the windpipe or food pipe and become life-threatening.

 

Dr. Saad Saad, a skilled pediatric surgeon who has had many encounters with dangerous objects lodged in children’s throats, has successfully removed all sorts of harmful items ranging from baby teeth to toothbrushes. Consequently, he has carefully outlined what to do in these sorts of situations, should they occur. According to Dr. Saad Saad, if a child is less than 6 years old, the best way to safely dislodge an item is to hold them upside down by their legs while simultaneously tapping on their back until the stuck item is dislodged. If the child is above 6, then the parent should opt for preforming the Heimlich maneuver by standing directly behind them, wrapping their hands around the waste, and thrusting their arms under the rib cage directly into the abdomen. If neither of these achieve the desired result, it is best to take the child to the emergency room. Dr. Saad Saad urges parents to stay away from attempting to dislodge an item by scooping it out with their finger because it has the potential of pushing the item deeper and causing further damage.

 

Dr. Saad Saad has developed a guideline for parents that is aimed at reducing the probability of having an unsafe item lodged in their child’s throat. One of the things he strongly advocates against is allowing children to be around peanuts. Because of their small size, peanuts easily end up stuck in the windpipe, allowing the liquid in the lungs to make them soft and causing them to expand, resulting in further blockage. Extracting peanuts can be a difficult process because pulling them out with tweezers can cause the breaking of a piece into fragments that can spread to the rest of the lungs. Another common food item he strongly cautions against is hot dogs for children under 2 years because, if not chewed properly, they are the perfect size to block the windpipe. Learn more: https://about.me/ssaad/getstarted

 

Perhaps the most dangerous household item that Dr. Saad Saad urges parents to be mindful of is the battery. Their relatively small size means they can be swallowed with ease, which could result in severe injuries and serious burns if the acid leaks out inside of the child’s organs.

 

Hard to Swallow Advice From Dr. Saad Saad

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *